4.1181 Misc: Biography, Arabic, Hum. Computing; Journal (4/89)

Tue, 26 Mar 91 00:49:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1181. Tuesday, 26 Mar 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 14:41:39 EST (19 lines)
From: Robert O'Hara <MNHVZ028@SIVM>
Subject: Biography database standards

(2) Date: 21 Mar 91 15:41 EST (16 lines)
From: Malcolm Hayward <MHAYWARD@IUPCP6.BITNET>
Subject: Help!! Humanities Course Syllabi/Catlog Descriptions

(3) Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 15:37 CST (27 lines)
From: Jim Julich 319-335-5946 <CADJIMTS@UIAMVS>
Subject: Arabic linguistics

(4) Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 06:24:07 CDT (27 lines)
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET>
Subject: New Journal

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 14:41:39 EST
From: Robert O'Hara <MNHVZ028@SIVM>

Does anyone know if there are any organizations working on standard
formats for biographical databases? Certainly narrative information
about a person's life doesn't come in a regular format, but it would
seem that much information could be put in some set of standardized
fields, such as last name, first name, date of birth, parentage,
places of residence, etc. Two possible standards come to mind:
(1) the MARC name authority format, which includes names, dates,
titles, etc.; (2) genealogical database formats - I understand these
are somewhat standardized; can anyone supply me with the specifications?
Are there any other formats for biographical data that anyone knows?

Many thanks,

Bob O'Hara, MNHVZ028@SIVM.bitnet
National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution