4.1047 SPSS Session at Anthro. Assoc. Meeting (1/59)

Sun, 17 Feb 91 20:08:43 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1047. Sunday, 17 Feb 1991.

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 21:44 EST
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>
Subject: Notice of Meeting/Session

SPECIAL NOTICE TO SPSS USERS IN ANTHROPOLOGY AND RELATED DISCIPLINES:

Call for papers in a special session at the 90th Annual Meeting of the
American Anthropological Association to be held in Chicago, November
20-24, 1991.

I am trying to organize a session at the AAA meeting in Chicago on:
"SPSS in Anthropological Research" (tentative title)

Anyone who is interested in contributing a paper should contact me at
any of the addresses/numbers below with a preliminary expression of
interest and, if possible, a tentative title and abstract. If you don't
know what SPSS means, you need read no further. (If you want to know,
see footnote* below.)

The association meetings had over 4000 participants last year in New
Orleans. Participants present papers in a wide variety of fields. The
"traditional" four fields of anthropology are Cultural and Biological
Anthropology, Archaeology and Linguistics but the range of topics
covered is in fact much more diverse.

The application process is complex and must be handled by the session
organizer(s). The deadline of April 1 is firm and all supporting
documentation must be submitted by that date as a package by the
conference organizer on paper. Electronic and FAX applications are not
accepted. Applications are reviewed and successful participants are
notified by the end of August.

I will send copies of the application forms to any interested person on
request and these should be returned to me ASAP. The forms may also be
found in the January 1991 issue of the AAA newsletter. I must also
submit cheques for registration - $60 (US) for AAA members and $110 (US)
for non-members.

A limited numbers of non-members are permitted to present papers, so
non-anthropological computer and statistical advisors are welcome to
apply. Co-authored papers are also encouraged.

As the head office of SPSS Inc. is located in Chicago, we may be able to
get some assistance from them for the session. I have approached the
company for support on registration and other costs, and while they are
so far non-committal, don't be put off just yet by financial
considerations. On the other hand, you should also look for other
sources of funding. If anyone is willing to share the workload in
organizing this session as a co-chair or discussant, I would also
appreciate a hand. For more information, to submit a title & abstract,
or to offer assistance, please contact:

Morgan Tamplin,
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Computer Studies
Trent University Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, K9J 7B8
NetNorth/Bitnet: TAMPLIN@TRENTU.CA
(705) 748-1325 (Anthropology)
(705) 748-1495 (Computer Studies)
(705) 748-1246 (FAX)

PLEASE FORWARD THIS NOTICE TO OTHER RELEVANT LISTS OR POTENTIAL PARTICIPANTS.

* SPSS = "Statistical Package for the Social Sciences".