4.1043 Israeli Diaries: Werman (2/403)

Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:21:46 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1043. Friday, 15 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 18:53 +0200 (177 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: Airplanes

(2) Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 18:27 +0200 (226 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: Anniversary; Hodesh Tov

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 18:53 +0200
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>

Wednesday, 13 February

Airplanes

There are airplanes above us, all the time. We hear but do
not see them. In peace time there are almost never any flights
over Jerusalem; the contrast now is great. The planes were
very busy in the skies over Jerusalem the first week of the war
but not since, not until this morning. We had a quiet night
last night; it helped after the alarms of the previous night.
But now the skies are filled with the dronings and roars of
unseen planes - the sky is quite cloudy.

We hear from American TV and newspapers that the IFF codes
which allow planes to be identified as friendly have finally
been given to Israel. One source adds that the codes were
given with the understanding that no Israel retaliatory action
be undertaken before the beginning of the ground war. The
Pentagon denies this news item categorically; our spokesmen
refuse to comment. We tend to believe our silence more than
the Pentagon "no."

Are the planes we hear related to this new rumor? Are
they practicing using the IFF codes? Are they practicing for a
retaliation mission? Is this the beginning of such a mission?
We do not know.

We are concerned about the tender and loving relationship
now being shown us. Although this special treatment is public
and visible to all we feel the threat that lies behind this
massage; we already feel our arm being twisted.

All our requests for aid - other than the Patriots - from
the US have been torpedoed in the past few months by the State
Department. Even requests that have been approved by the
Congress and that should have been delivered months ago are not
honored. For example, the $400,000,000 credit for dealing with
the new Russian immigration that we have been asking for is
pushed aside, time after time. Congress approved Israeli
industry participation in the competition on defense tenders in
Europe - in those very countries which have failed to support
the Gulf war with more than token efforts, if at all - for
repair and renewal of weapons systems; this possible source of
badly needed income for us has been blocked by innumerable
State Department barriers, both political and bureaucratic.
The Arrow missile project and the Israeli super-computer have
also been shelved by State Department decisions - after these
were initially encouraged and even funded. These projects are
not only of importance to our defense posture - and perhaps
that of the US as well in the long run - but would provide
important sources of badly needed income and employment.

It appears that the State Department is interested in
withholding all aid now in order to increase the pressure to be
applied to us to accept their policies in the treaties that will
be drawn up for this region at the end of the conflict in the
Persian Gulf. The joint statement issued by Secretary of State
Baker and his Russian counterpart - and later shelved by President
Bush - about solution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a
hint of what is to come. This is just not the time.

Meanwhile the State Department caresses us publicly.

*****************************

The Persian Gulf War provides a living for the media.
All over the world they deliver their merchandise - not
literature, not history [not even journalism, I think at times]
but merchandise - tens of millions words, and countless
pictures, TV and photographic shots. 100's of millions readers
and listeners and viewers pay attention to what is going on in
the Persian Gulf 24 hours a day. The bitter truth is that
neither we nor they have the least idea of what is going on.

There are two types of reporting from the Gulf now. In
the first, the reporters of the great newspapers sit quietly,
like well-disciplined high school students before the spokesmen
of the US and British [Occasionally Saudi; rarely French]
Armies, who feed the reporters what the military wants and
these newsmen quietly take it all down, as if they are school
room assignments. If one of them gets a bit smart, he will
find himself on the first plane back home. There are no wise
guys in Saudi Arabia.

The Americans have set the stage by placing heavy
censorship on details, limited movement of reporters to and on
the fronts.

The great journalists sit with folded arms in a tent -
scene of desert splendor - to listen to a briefing once a day
- and then to say "thank you." Freedom of the press? The
right of the public to know? Forget it. Army people say just
what they want and only what they want to. They do not expand
and are frugal in their expressions.

The journalists stand on the roofs of Riyadh and say any
nonsense that comes to mind. These are the same journalists
who screamed against Israeli restrictions on them, spoke of the
right to know, freedom of the press. And now they have no
problem accepting the cereal served them - predigested, no less.

Then there is the other kind of journalist, the one who
reports from behind the enemy lines, who allows [Does he have a
choice? Of course not.] the most flagrant propaganda to be shown
while he is broadcasting.

Some have written me that Peter Arnett of CNN, broadcasting
from Baghdad chooses what to present in his broadcasts. If so, he
is simply an evil, destructive man. But this is clearly not the
case, he shows what he is told to show, he is a journalist and the
show must go on. O, is that the theatre? Well this is journalism
as theatre, entertainment - of a sort.

Mr. Shalom Rosenfeld, one of our leading senior journalists,
has made the interesting comparison of Peter Arnett to Ed Murrow.
[For those too young to remember, Murrow was also one of the
handful of TV - then in its infancy - journalists who lead the
fight to defeat the frightening Senator Macarthy.]

Murrow broadcast from London during the blitz in World War
II - night after night, bravely, just as does Arnett. But the
cause, the cause? asks Mr. Rosenfeld. Every day that Murrow
broadcast he did this not only with bravery but with a sense of
mission. Does Peter Arnett have that? Does he have a mission?
A cause? What mission? What cause?

Arnett persists in interviewing the Americans who visit
Iraq, even now. Carl Sagan, popularizer of science, now can
claim that he is a popularizer of fiction as well. Ramsey
Clark returns to the US after his Arnett interview and relates
that he saw no evidence of bomb damage to military targets.
Where did they take him?

*****************************

Responsibility in journalism. It exists; Ted Koppel tells
ABC's Tel Aviv correspondent not to point in the direction of the
latest Scud impact.

One correspondent writes to tell me about a news report
where a soldier was interviewed and stated that he did not know
why he was in Saudi Arabia. US soldiers who saw this wondered
how many dozens of troops did the reporter have to interview to
find one that would provide that answer.

Now we learn that Arnett has been allowing Iraqi
government officials to use his satellite telephone. CNN
quickly claimed that he only allows them to use it to speak to
the Iraqi embassy in Jordan to arrange press credentials. This
story is contradicted by CBS evidence that the Iraqis have a
functioning Telex line to their Embassy in Rabbat Ammon.

Fantastic!

*****************************

An interesting observation is that most people of advanced
age - including my 86 year old mother - behave surprisingly well
during the attacks here. Even those in Tel Aviv. Even those
whose homes are damaged. Even those wounded. They seem to have
a great calmness that envelops them. They are more worried about
their children and grandchildren than they are about themselves.
They are not apathetic, they are just grand.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem

copyright 1991 USA. All rights reserved.