4.1017 Israeli Diaries: Werman (2/448)

Tue, 12 Feb 91 16:34:16 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1017. Tuesday, 12 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:42 +0200 (216 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: A New Order

(2) Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 15:49 +0200 (232 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: Ready for the Ground Battle

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:42 +0200
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>

Thursday, 7 February

A New Order

It is raining hard again, thundering as well.
There were no missiles again last night but the
sensitized Tel Avivians were startled and even frightened
at midnight by the thunder, thinking it was another
attack. Here in Jerusalem, we can afford the luxury of
first checking the source of the noise, for we don't
really believe - but we are not sure - that the sudden
boom signals an attack. There is no attack. This was
the fourth night in a row without any attack.

For several days now, Jordan's Crown Prince, Hassan,
the brother of King Hussein, has been giving TV interviews
condemning the US and coalition indifference to Jordan's
plight. The signs were clear, the signal given to the
West to bail out Jordan, but there was no response.

Jordan was already in desperate financial straits
before the onset of the Persian Gulf crisis; the two waves
of refugees that have swarmed across the border from Iraq
- the first with the capture and ravaging of Kuwait in the
late summer, the second now with the bombing of Iraq -
has placed a tremendous additional economic burden on
Jordan. In addition, two-thirds of Jordan's oil supply
came from Iraq and oil shortages present in Iraq following
the coalition bombings are also apparent in Jordan.

Moreover, Jordan has been dealing with Iraq despite
the sanctions and boycott of that country for the past
five months, providing produce. [And even Israeli farm
products, as West Bank farmers - whose trucks change their
licence plates as soon as they cross the Adam Bridge from
Israel to Jordan - drove their produce to Iraq, as they
formerly did to Kuwait.] Indeed, the Jordanian port of
Aqaba has served during the period of the sanctions as
Iraq's only outlet to the sea; trucks carrying containers
from steamers arriving in Aqaba - none ever searched by
US and coalition vessels patrolling the Red Sea - left
Aqaba before the war at the rate of one every five
minutes.

More than half of Jordan's residents are
Palestinians, many still living in refugee camps set up
in 1948 [Fleeing from embattled Israel at the urging of
their own leaders]. These, as do their fellow
Palestinians elsewhere, see Saddam Hussein as a possible
savior, as a Salladin who will lead the Arabs to a
victory over the West, and particularly to the
dismantling of Israel. It is no surprise that they
support Saddam Hussein overwhelmingly; they see the
present war exactly as Saddam Hussein has tried to sell
it to the Arab/Muslim world, as a battle between the
good Arabs and the evil Israeli's [Their placards add
"Israelis = Jews," so there will be no doubt.], with the
US and its allies doing the fighting for Israel.

Scud missiles fly over Jordan on their way from
Iraq to Jordan. It has been rumored that some of these
may actually have been fired from mobile launchers driven
to Jordan. Now, a new rumor has it that the last missile
fired at Israel actually fell in Jordanian territory.
Jordan knows that any Israeli retaliation on Iraq will
involve Israel aircraft flying through Jordanian airspace;
the Jordanians are pretty much helpless to prevent this,
their airforce and anti-aircraft defenses are just not up
to stopping the Israeli planes.

Thus, it was not a great surprise to me that King
Hussein, in a dramatic speech yesterday, allied himself
with the Iraqi in a war of the Arab nations to keep the
Imperialistic forces of the West out of the Arab
subcontinent, where their purpose is - says King Hussein
- to subjugate and humiliate the Arabs and thereby control
Arab resources and propagate Western influence.

Jordan was caught in a pincer with little room to
maneuver; its dependence on Iraq, its largely pro-Saddam
population and the lack of desperately needed economic
aid from the west, together, tipped the scales in favor of
a pro-Iraqi stance.

The Americans have already announced that they will
be responsible for rebuilding Iraq after the war is over.
Shades of "The Mouse that Roared." Just as Germany and
Japan were helped - with US aid - to regain their pre-
World War II status and to achieve even greater economic
power than they ever had. And now allowed to enjoy the
envious status of reluctant economic supporters - without
participating in the military actions or casualties - of
the coalition efforts. This is, of course, particularly
disturbing in the case of Germany which supplied
encouragement funds to German firms that aided in the
building of the Iraqi war machine, and supplied the
technical know-how that may now be responsible for the
lives of US and coalition soldiers as well as Israeli
citizens.

With the possibility of being "rebuilt" by the US
after the war now a tangible option, perhaps there is
every reason in the world for the Jordanians to side
against the US and its allies.

King Hassan of Morocco, a member of the coalition,
has also joined in the general Arab/Muslim support of
Saddam Hussein, calling him a modern Salladin who will
restore vanished glories of the Arab Nation. The
300,000 participants in the pro-Saddam rally in Fez this
week probably helped convince him of the wisdom of this
action. This is indeed strange, with a US ally extolling
the allies' chief enemy and villian.

Continuing the line of topsy-turvey results that
might be expected after an Allied victory is the
announcement by Secretary of State Baker that after the
war is over the Middle East will have to undergo changes
to guarantee its stability and to undo injustice.

Is this announcement meant to bring hope to the
Kurds dispersed and persecuted in Iraq and Iran and
barely tolerated in southern Turkey? Not at all, it is
another reference to pushing a Palestinian State down
Israel's already gagging throat. For clearly - by Mouse-
that-Roared logic - the PLO which sides with Saddam
Hussein is to be rewarded, while Israel, which has been a
good little nation, showing "admirable" restraint at US
urging, is to be punished.

Is that clear, now?

In the discussion of a general Middle East
settlement after the war, the phrase, "A New Order" [in
the Middle East] has been articulated. Use of this
expression must reflect the height of insensitivity,
worthy of some special award. It is not enough that
Israel is again being threatened with poison gas attacks
with the Nazi use of Zyklon B to exterminate the Jews still
fresh in our memory, but now we are treated to a rebirth
of another Nazi relic, "The New Order." And directed at
us - again.

Mayor Dinkins of New York City has joined the new
pilgrimage, to the Patriot launchers. Carrying the
obligatory gas mask - I wish that Israelis were as
conscientious about carry their's as our visitors are -
he is interviewed at one of the launcher sites in the
Tel Aviv area. He praises us, our restraint, calmness,
fortitude. [Will he tell that to Farakan? To Jesse
Jackson?] He proves his political astuteness by asking
one of the American soldiers in the Patriot crew if it is
true that they deliberately withheld fire from Scuds that
appeared destined to land in areas populated by Arabs.
The GI breaks into a broad smile and says "Hell, no!"

They are all coming now, German, Italian, Czech
parliamentarians, American sexologists [Dr. Ruth], Afro-
American congressmen who tell us that the Black Caucus's
record is 100% behind bills supporting Israel. They all
visit the Patriots - our new tourist attraction. Israelis
are not allowed near the batteries; fathers take their sons
to seem them from afar, explain them, they are now "ours."

I wonder if the Afro-American visitors have seen our
Ethiopian immigrants, who - on the average - are much
darker [Too dark? Too Jewish?] than the visitors. At any
rate, they have nothing to say about them. I gather that
the limited support that they give us - and we welcome
even that in the face of widespread Afro-American anti-
Jewish feeling - cannot be compromised by excess, by
admitting that we are also black, and that being black
does not seem to be an issue here.

*****************************

There is another group of Black Hebrews - that is
what they call themselves - here, mostly living in the
town, Dimona, better known for other things. They are
here as converts to a new religion/new-old people with
their own prophet. Originating in Chicago, they have
come on tourist visas and stayed on. They claim that
they are the true Hebrews and that we, the Jewish
Israelis, are usurpers who will be thrown out one day.
There were some attempts years back to deport them; they
are here illegally and are generally a financial burden
where they live. But the fear of negative responses
among Afro-Americans and other black nationalists stopped
that.

This has not stopped the Farakans of America from
inciting blacks to anti-semitism; nor the Bishop Tutus
and Nelson Mendelas for siding with the PLO against us.

The Black Hebrews are, for the time being, only an
unobtrusive Fifth Column.

We still tell jokes. Here is a recent one:

They are selling building lots in H2 now.
They are only 7 minutes - by missile - from Tel Aviv.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem

copyright 1991 USA. All rights reserved.