4.1002 ISO Bibliography Standard Problem (2/61)

Sun, 10 Feb 91 19:51:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1002. Sunday, 10 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 07 Feb 91 10:38:20 GMT (31 lines)
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK>
Subject: ISO and bibliographic references to electronic documents

(2) Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 19:15:45 EST (30 lines)
From: Allen Renear <EDITORS@BROWNVM>
Subject: ISO National Organizations

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 91 10:38:20 GMT
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK>

The ISO is preparing a standard on bibliographic references to electronic
documents. It is now a Committee Draft; if approved, it will be
circulated this year as a Draft International Standard.

An earlier draft provided specifications only for the citation of
computer programs and databases. In response to criticism from me and
no doubt many others, it has been extended to include citations of
'electronic bulletin boards and message systems'. It does not discuss
electronic mail lists, or distinguish between unmoderated lists and
digests. Three examples, all from BITNET and INTERNET lists, are given;
the lists are described as 'electronic bulletin boards'. As it happens,
I had read one of the cited items when it appeared on the list, but I
don't know which of several contributions on that subject is being cited.

In my view, therefore, the methods of citation proposed would be
inadequate to secure correct identification and recovery of the item
cited. I cannot discuss details of the draft here, as I take them to be
confidential. Although I hope to secure improvements in the CD before
it is approved as a DIS, I would urge Humanists who take an interest in
these matters to try to get a look at the DIS when it comes out and get
their comments forwarded to their national secretariat. Of course, if
you think that Humanist is an interactive bulletin board, or that an
item on an unmoderated list can be cited in the same way as one on
Humanist, where each issue has a date and serial number, then don't
bother.

Christopher