Mon, 4 Feb 91 00:21:05 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0974. Monday, 4 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 09:32 PST (26 lines)
From: <HARDERR@CLARGRAD>
Subject: Digitizing Sound [eds.]

(2) Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 23:50 EST (39 lines)
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>
Subject: scanning

(3) Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 07:25:37 CST (47 lines)
From: john@utafll.uta.edu (John Baima)
Subject: Cyrillic for Windows 3.0

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 09:32 PST
From: <HARDERR@CLARGRAD>

I haven't heard any responses to the qustion about digitizing sound on the Mac.
So here goes: Don't eventhink about it! A 30 minute "Sound sample" even if
sampled at a very poor quality would take a dozen or so megabytes of disk space.
If you were to sample at CD quality you would take a little over 40k PER
SECOND of sound. 8k samples are generally useable for spoken sound. I'll
let you do the math.

There is hope however. If you were to put all of your sound samples onto a CD
ROM, you could get 72 minutes at CD quality more if that weren't important (and
it shouldn't be for your application). Then use HyperCard to access the sound
segments. Apple's Programmers and Developers Asscn sells a CD Audio toolkit for
about $70 that would give you all of the code neccessary to build your own
toolkit. I built one for Handel's Messiah in about 1/2 hour to show my
studets how it was done. So easy even a linguist could do it! 8-) <grin>
You may be able to find commercail CD's with enough spoken materials to be
useful.

Raymond G. Harder
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa CA, USA