4.0946 Life in Israel (2/232)

Fri, 25 Jan 91 16:52:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0946. Friday, 25 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 13:14:45 JST (54 lines)
From: sokoloff@coma.huji.ac.il (Prof. Sokoloff Michael)
Subject: Another view of life in Israel [eds.]

(2) Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 15:38 +0200 (178 lines)
From: RWERMAN@HUJIVMS
Subject: False Alarm in Israel Last Night [eds.]

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 13:14:45 JST
From: sokoloff@coma.huji.ac.il (Prof. Sokoloff Michael)

Dear Humanists,

Since you have been recently getting one-sided reports of the situation
in Israel from Werman, I thought that it was about time that someone
sent you a different picture to balance out the situation. Indeed, we
cannot let our emotions get hold of ourselves even in life and death
situations and academic responsibility - to say nothing of scholarly
integrity - demands that a full-sided picture of the actual events be
placed before our distinguished colleagues.

Firstly, it must be clearly stated that SCUDs do save lives. The media
have reported here that since the beginning of the war only one person
has been killed in a motor accident. If we take into account that as of
this writing the war has been on for ten days, and that the Israeli
average motor fatality rate is about 1.25 a day, then even if we
subtract the number of fatalities from the raid on Ramat Gan we come up
with a positive tally. Indeed, though I don't have the exact figures, I
would even venture to say that the number of injuries is probably on
balance less.

Moreover, the SCUDs have injected new life into the sagging tourist
industry. During the last few months, many tourists from abroad have
canceled their trips to Israel, even the hardy Scandinavians who flood
sun-drenched Eilat in the winter. But now after a few rounds on Tel
Aviv, you can't get a room in Eilat! All of the Tel Avivites have
discovered the Negev and old friends that they haven't seen in ages.
Even Jerusalem-of-the-long-knives is enjoying a boom. It seems like
ages ago, but actually less than three weeks ago, Tel Avivites had to be
cajoled and embarrassed to visit the capitol. The Hilton is now
bursting with guests who have now discovered the Holy city.

The crime curve has dropped enormously. Indeed, the police say that
they are actually underemployed, and if it weren't for a missile or so
which brings out the looters who steal from the bombed out houses they
really wouldn't know what to do with themselves. Personally, I don't
think that the official explanation for this phenomena, viz. that people
are at home more now after dark, is really correct. There is really
honor among thieves, and in this they are showing their solidarity with
the rest of the population in this dark hour of trial.

Finally, the missiles have brought about a messianic era of an end to
the Jewish wars which are so popular in Israel. The leftists are giving
there full support to the Likkud; the religious and secular populations
have ceased their never-ending strife; the newspapers have stopped
printing articles about the negative aspects of society. Indeed, it is
even reported that mothers-in-law from the outlying areas have taken in
their daughters' Tel Aviv spouses without argument.

I suppose I could go on with more glowing comments on the situation, but
I think that the above should give you a better picture of what it is
really like in Israel today.