4.0939 History of Mathematics (2/64)

Fri, 25 Jan 91 00:04:11 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0939. Friday, 25 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 22:58:33 -0500 (32 lines)
From: David Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Subject: 4.0932 Multiculturalism: Math

(2) Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 15:56:41 EST (32 lines)
From: dthel@conncoll.bitnet
Subject: Pythagoras & multiculturalism

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 22:58:33 -0500
From: David Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>

contributed to the debate on multiculturalism, I have a few points to
offer. This is based on memories from my 10-years past History of
Mathematics classes at Brown. (A wonderful department, unique in the
country, and alas, dues to be disbanded as the current professors
retire). As I recall, the earliest Pythagorean triangles (3,4,5 and
some others) are attested in Sumerian or Akkadian texts, intended for
the use of surveyors. -- I could maybe dig up citations on these if
they are needed. The Egyptians had similar tables. The Greek
innovation was a proof that the pythagorean relation held for ALL right
triangles. The Chinese did independently (as far as is known) discover
a proof of the Pythagorean theorem, but I am completely unsure as to the
date.

While this account that I am repeating may be biased, the mathematical
texts extant from the middle eastern cultures do not support assertions
of supressed mathematical speculation, since they are generally
extremely concrete (appropriate to clay texts I suppose) in the phrasing
and approach to such problems. At least in the ones we examined in
class, they were always presented as word problems about quantities of
earth, or areas of land. While there may have been a hidden tradition
of the sort required for such historical claims to make sense,
intellectual honesty requires that we find some level of factual support
for our assertions. At least in this area, I think such support is
lacking.