4.0928 Last Responses on Lakoff (2/114)

Wed, 23 Jan 91 17:28:48 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0928. Wednesday, 23 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 17:27 PST (54 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0920 Responses: On War and Rhetoric

(2) Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 10:24 EDT (60 lines)
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@brandeis.bitnet>
Subject: George Lakoff on metaphor and war

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 17:27 PST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Well, you have spotted the contempt for I called puerility. I did not
trouble to engage the "Issues" involved for the simple reason that
Lakoff's essay was adddressed, in my opinion to the innocent and
ignorant. I should think that after one has troubled oneself to read
enough by the age of 30 to qualif for a higher degree, that one doesnt
use most of the terms that Lakoff "analyzes" in wht I called a piece of
work that should have been directed towards freshman. What the
observations that asked me what I meant tell me is that most of the
scholars seem to think that the news they read in the papers and
"watch" on tv is very useful or informative. I dont bother to argue
with journalists in the media, because they are dealing with instant
superficialities. And if you are going to think that educated people
actually are influenced by the rhetroic of politicians, then they
havent learned the uses of propaganda or the means of hearing rhetoric
as rhetoric. I prefer the color of sportwriters when I wish to be
entertained. Any other color is just that. One doesnt have to analyze
lightweight obvious stuff that is not addressed to reflection. Lakoff
was instructing freshman and by that term I include all undergraduates
in the USA. Start with skepticism and such hectoring in the form of
"cognitive Linguisitic" analysis looks like fluff to me. Ponderous,
pedantic, portentous. I have not seen Kuwait "raped." Not even heard
the term. But, then as a practicing poet I know those metaphors are
absurd. The level of Lakoff's discourse was to my mind simply
superficial, poisoned by his lifetime of immersion in the media,
perhaps. Now that he has discovered analysis, he seems to think he has
found truth. Had he had the least inkling of the scale of armaments
amassed by Iraq, the sums paid for, the proven or suspected barbarities
of Baa'thists from Day One, etc etc, he wouldnt have attacked the
subject as a study in propaganda. He made his first mistake starting
with that, instead of remembering what Iraq did from the start. Doesnt
he recall the photos of the dozens of prominent citizens hanging for a
week or so in downtown Baghdad, all Jews, killed because they were Jews,
heirs to a group native to Baghdad for well nigh 2500 years? To argue
with Lakoff is like playing tennis with a duffer: it makes for a boring
game. Sorry. Perhaps it wasnt contempt I felt but simply an irritated
condescension. None are so blind as those who will not see, after all.
The naivete of American professors, those who for instance, failed to
see what happened when the sailors revolted in Petrograd soon after
the Revolution, and were savagely put down, is really inexcusable.
Dzherzinsky, Felix, a Pole, is the father of darkness, and he invented the
concentration camp, probably because he recalled the American Civil War
camps...By 19 20-21, say, all hopes for radical cures was lost in the
West. Let us stop talking nonsense and rational discourse with critics
who write their colleagues pieces that are fit for undergraduates.
Sorry, but that is my sentiment. Irked, I was, and am. Let us proceed
to be grownups and accept our grim situation in the coming decade, if is
is to come at all. Why ask if my name is a woman's? Jascha was never
a woman's name. It seems to have belonged in our century mostly to
first-rate musicians. I did not become such, it seems. Kessler.