4.0901 English MA Exam; Quebec Lit; Hebrew OT (3/116)

Thu, 17 Jan 91 11:10:04 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0901. Thursday, 17 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Wednesday, 16 Jan 1991 13:35:29 EST (50 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: MA exit exam in English

(2) Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 14:21 EST (38 lines)
From: MELANCON@umtlvr.bitnet
Subject: QUEBEC LITERATURE AND THE U.S.A.

(3) Date: Thursday, 17 January 1991 0851-EST (28 lines)
From: GROVES@PENNDRLS (Alan Groves)
Subject: Re:4.0884 Semanitic Domain Dictionary of Hebrew OT

Date: Wednesday, 16 Jan 1991 13:35:29 EST
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>

Dear Members of Humanist--
If you do not work in an English department with a graduate program,
this query will most likely not interest you, and you can delete it
without reading further.
-
If you do work in an English department with a graduate program in
literature, would you please let me know whether you require an
exit examination of your students after they have completed their
coursework and before they receive their M.A. degrees. For years,
we have asked our students to take a two-day examination, sitting
for three hours each day to respond to questions in six categories:
normally, five categories were drawn from the standard periods of
British & American literature; the sixth category required the
student to analyze a short poem. In place of answering one question
drawn from one of the period categories, the student might elect
to answer a question from an `omnibus' section, which might inclued
questions from linguistics, folklore, women's studies, critical
theory, comparative literature, etc.
-
Our department is now discussing whether we should replace this
examination with area requirements for in the master's curriculum,
to urge students to look at both the synchronic and diachronic
dimensions of literature, and indeed to insure that they have the
breadth of literary experience we hoped the exam would indicate.
-
I am aware that my colleagues will want to know what is going on
at other schools (whose M.A.'s are based in a certain number of
credits of coursework, and not primarily on an exam as tends to be
true in Europe), so I would ask you to write me directly, please,
and tell me simply whether you require for an M.A. at your school
an exit examination or not, whether the exam -- if required --
attempts to be comprehensive or not, and if no examination is
required, whether coursework distribution is in place in some form.
I will be happy to share with my colleagues any other information
you offer as well. I thank you in advance for any information you
may give us.
-
--Patrick W. Conner
--Department of English
--West Virginia University
--<U47C2@WVNVM.BITNET>
--<U47C2@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>
--
PS.  Please do not burden the network with this discussion, but
write to me directly; I will provide the file to anyone who requests