4.0894 On E-Mail, Age, and College Students (2/48)

Tue, 15 Jan 91 18:57:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0894. Tuesday, 15 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 20:04:43 EST (22 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: the eternal child

(2) Date: 15 Jan 91 17:17:50 (26 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0889 Age of E-Mailers

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 20:04:43 EST
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

I have nothing much but impressions to go on, but that never stopped me
before, so I won't let it now. The apparent age of those who use e-mail
is, I think, attributable to two factors: first, the laudable
attenuation of what sociologists call "social context cues", and second,
the nurture of our desire to play, so wonderfully provided by the
whizz-bang gadgets we have before us.

I recall meeting someone a few years ago and to my great surprise
discovering his gray-white hair and evidence of his status as a
distinguished senior professor of literature. After analyzing my
surprise, I realized that I had steadfastly ignored the evidence of his
status already available to me before I met him. His obvious devotion
to computers, his enthusiasm and abundant energy led me to think he must
be young. How silly. As if having seen the cover you didn't need to
read the book. Which is, of course, sometimes true.

Willard McCarty