Mon, 14 Jan 91 18:25:04 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0885. Monday, 14 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 00:22 EST (21 lines)
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>
Subject: RE: 4.0882 Queries: Toshiba Security

(2) Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 17:21:26 EST (18 lines)
From: Jose Igartua <R12270@UQAM>

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 00:22 EST
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>

Regarding passwording programs and the security of portable PCs, there
are a number of commercial and public domain passwording programs
available. Software security can be circumvented. Hardware is better.
The old Epson Geneva laptops (remember CP/M?) had a password option in
its dynamic memory which could only be bypassed by resetting the system
and erasing everything previously stored.

Some of the more expensive NEC portables (386 with hard drive) have a
password in ROM which appears to be quite secure. There was a report of
some in Canada stolen from a government office which were brought to
dealers shops for "repair" by their possibly unsuspecting new owners who
had bought them at a bargain price. Perhaps Toshiba has a ROM-based
password option. Be warned though, if you forget your password, you may
have to return your machine to the factory.

Morgan Tamplin
Trent University