4.0874 Announcement: UNC Press (1/29)

Wed, 9 Jan 91 18:28:01 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0874. Wednesday, 9 Jan 1991.

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 22:40:12 EST
From: C. David Perry <carlos@uncecs.edu>
Subject: Note on UNC Press fire

The staff of the University of North Carolina Press greatly
appreciates the many expressions of support following the fire
that destroyed our office building on December 5.

Fortunately, no one was injured, and although we lost a great deal of
Press history, we can now report that all books on the spring 1991 list
will be published on time.

It is not surprising that, hearing news of the fire, many are concerned
about the future of the Press. Despite the loss of our office building,
we are in remarkably good shape. We have saved many paper and
electronic files; our contracts are safe; our warehouse inventory was
not involved in in the fire. And UNC Press editors and marketing staff
were at our December book exhibits at the AHA, MLA, and AIA/APA as usual.

Rebuilding our office building will take a number of months. In the
interim, while we are housed in our temporary offices, you can reach us
at the same telephone and FAX numbers--and at the same mailing address.

Thank you for your good wishes. We have lost a building, but the
University of North Carolina Press itself is very much in business,
functioning well, and publishing award-winning books.

The University of North Carolina Press David Perry
PO Box 2288 Editor
Chapel Hill, NC 27515 carlos@ecsvax
919-966-3561 carlos@uncecs.edu
919-966-3829 (FAX)