4.0842 French Naming Law; Names & Death (2/37)

Mon, 17 Dec 90 22:56:22 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0842. Monday, 17 Dec 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 10:02:04 PST (16 lines)
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0818 French Naming Law

(2) Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 13:37:32 PST (21 lines)
From: DONWEBB@CALSTATE (Donald Webb)
Subject: Name-death & number retirement

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 10:02:04 PST
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0818 French Naming Law (6/115)

I don't know anything about French naming laws, but I thought I'd share
the following info about German naming procedures. When my German wife
and I got married in Cologne in 1978, we received a so-called
"Familienbuch", in which, among other things, there was a list of
approved names for children. Interestingly enough, it included not just
Christian saints' names but also a number of very Germanic ones, like
Wiebke, Frauke, and several that hearken back to the Nibelungenlied. I
don't remember what would have happened if one wanted to choose a name
not on that list, however. [I draw no conclusions regarding national
differences and/or similiarities between the two countries, however!]

tom shannon