4.0817 Wanted: Project Descriptions for ARIST (1/35)

Wed, 5 Dec 90 20:56:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0817. Wednesday, 5 Dec 1990.

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 16:39
From: TIBBO.ILS@mhs.unc.edu (TIBBO)
Subject: ARIST Chapter

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to solicit descriptions (preferably published ones) of
projects involving computer/technology applications in the humanities.
I am currently engaged in writing a chapter on information
technology/systems/services for the humanities for the Annual Review of
Information Science and Technology (ARIST). This is an annual
information science publication produced by ASIS (the American Society
for Information Science). It provides state-of-the-art and literature
reviews on a variety of topics of interest to information professionals
each year. Joe Raben was the last person to write on this topic and
that was in 1981. Needless to say, much has transpired since then!

I will be covering many areas in this review such as online bibliographic
services and humanists as literature producers and users, but I will
devote a good deal of space to describing various projects and technology
initiatives developed by humanists. What I need to become aware of is
all the wonderful projects in which you are integrating technology and
humanistic content, be they for the classroom or research. This is the
hardest area for me to research as references to such projects are spread
far and wide. I do, however, want to include as many significant
projects as possible and give their creators the credit they are due.

Thanks for all your help.

Helen R. Tibbo
School of Information and Library Science
100 Manning Hall CB# 3360
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3360
(919) 962-8065 (my office)
(919) 962-8366 (SILS office)