4.0809 French Naming Law (2/38)

Tue, 4 Dec 90 20:17:07 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0809. Tuesday, 4 Dec 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 07:49 EDT (15 lines)
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: RE: 4.0806 Qs: Kowalski-Wierusz; French Naming Law

(2) Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 08:48:00 EST (23 lines)
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu
Subject: French Naming Law

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 07:49 EDT
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>

I remember reading in *Time* (?) magazine some time ago that
there were problems with French names; someone whose last name
was the equivalent of "butt" was not permitted to name his/her
child with that same last name. The upshot was that there was
even more speculation about the child whose last name was not
the same as that of the family! (This must have been in the 60's
or 70's when I read the article; I too would like to know more
about French naming law-- was this information correct? Is it
still true?)

Leslie Morgan (MORGAN@LOYVAX1.BITNET)