4.0775 Rs: Dogs and Names (3/36)

Wed, 28 Nov 90 23:10:20 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0775. Wednesday, 28 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: 27 November 90, 19:57:46 CST (17 lines)
From: Bill Ball C476721 at UMCVMB
Subject: dog phrases

(2) Date: Sun, 25 Nov 90 14:55 PST (6 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0722 [dogs]

(3) Date: Wed, 28 Nov 1990 19:32 EST (13 lines)
From: Julie Still <STILL@URVAX.BITNET>
Subject: illegal names

Date: 27 November 90, 19:57:46 CST
From: Bill Ball C476721 at UMCVMB

For sayings, quotes & phrases about dogs I recommend _Brewer's Dictionary
of Phrase & Fable_, which has about 4 pages worth. Some examples:

"He who has a mind to beat his dog will easily find a stick"
"I don't keep dogs and bark myself"
"The more I see of men the more I love dogs"
"You can never scare a dog away from a greasy hide"

Brewer's also lists some dogs in literature and of notable people.

William J. Ball
Dept. Pol. Sci.
U. Mo.-Columbia