4.0771 Q: Twain Quotes (1/19)

Tue, 27 Nov 90 19:30:00 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0771. Tuesday, 27 Nov 1990.

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 1990 15:22:39 GMT+0300
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL
Subject: Quotes from Mark Twain

Quote 1: "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could
hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was
astonished at how much the old man had learned in 7 years."

Quote 2: "When I was 13, my father was a terrible fool. When I was 16,
he was rather less of a fool; and when I got to be 20, I was surprised
to discover how clever my father had become."

Some of you may notice some slight similarity between the above two
quotes. Both are attributed to Mark Twain in different books that have
passed through my hands. Somehow I doubt he wrote both. Can anyone
provide Ye True Originale (with reference); and can anyone explain why
reputable academics (aren't we all?) are so happy to rush into print
without checking their quotes??

Judy Koren

(P.S. I prefer the second version, and will award a Bonus Point to
anyone who can prove that that was in fact the Original Text.)