4.0766 Qs: Computing Related (4/166)

Tue, 27 Nov 90 19:11:49 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0766. Tuesday, 27 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 22:03:33 CST (29 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: ... QuickVerse 2.0

(2) Date: Mon, 26 Nov 90 16:22 EST (106 lines)
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>
Subject: query from nl-kr

(3) Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 10:40:37 cst (22 lines)
From: "Francis,Bill" <RISKS@GRIN1.Bitnet>
Subject: WP and footnotes

(4) Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 11:28 CST (9 lines)
From: Michael Ossar <MLO@KSUVM>
Subject: global software

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 22:03:33 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

[...]

A further query: does anyone know anything about the scholarly depth and
usefulness of QuickVerse 2.0 from Parsons Technology? The literature
promises the ability to examine up to four different translations of the
Bible (NIV, KJV, Hebrew and Greek Transliterated Bible, New King James,
RSV, New RSV, or the Living Bible available) -- along with word and
phrase searches; an annotation facility; an optional Greek and Hebrew
dictionary (based, so far as I can tell, on Strong's Hebrew and Greek
Dictionary, c. 1980 and 1986); boolean searches; and cut-and-paste
ability between windows. The annotation facility apparently functions
both as an on-line notebook or "footnoting" editor, which further
allows for transfering material over into one's own wordprocessor.
Most amazing about all this is the price: $69.00 for the basic package
(including one translation of the complete Bible; additional trans-
lations are $39.00 each, except for the NIV, which is $49.00) -- and
$39.00 for the Hebrew and Greek Transliterated Bible. (The package
runs on IBM/compatible).

Any comments on this would be appreciated. (A favorite dictum from
informal logic: if it sounds too good to be true, it's too good to be
true!)

Charles Ess
Drury College