4.0752 Rs: Chinese OSs and CALL (3/59)

Mon, 26 Nov 90 22:03:19 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0752. Monday, 26 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: 25 Nov 90 16:51:32 (21 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0743 Qs: Chinese

(2) Date: Sun, 25 Nov 90 21:25 +0100 (27 lines)
From: WENG@SELDC52.BITNET
Subject: Re: 4.0743 Qs: Chinese; Hyphens; Amharic Machine Xlation

(3) Date: Sat, 24 Nov 90 11:17 EST (11 lines)
From: "Dr. Joel Goldfield" <JOEL@DUKEMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Chinese CALL on the Mac

Date: 25 Nov 90 16:51:32
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu

Chinese macintosh operating systems exist for both "traditional"
characters used in Taiwan and the simplified scheme developed and used
in the PRC. If you need both in the same document, I *think* it should
be possible, though cumbersome, to switch between systems for portions
of the same document. I write 'should be possible' - we have done
something of the sort in preparing a complete list of characters used in
our CD-ROM of Chinese which supports both sets of characters, albeit
with some frustration (we used Word and Pagemaker). In most instances,
of course, a document would be written with one or the other schemes.

--- Bill Francis RISKS@GRIN1 wrote:
Subj Chinese and computing
Quoting Hoare,Stephanie:
The problem with the Mac is that there are
two different ways of writing Chinese characters: complex
("traditional") and simplified, and Mac only does simplified.