4.0746 Greek Word Processing (2/52)

Fri, 23 Nov 90 23:59:00 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0746. Friday, 23 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 14:57:39 +0000 (44 lines)
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 4.0726 Greek Word Processing

(2) Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 18:09 EST (8 lines)
From: NMILLER@trincc
Subject: Greek on the Mac

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 14:57:39 +0000
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 4.0726 Greek Word Processing (2/59)

> its footnoting is adequate for me but not ideal. What would
> be very helpful would be to hear from someone who reckons they can
> get the best of both worlds, or the best of the practically
> possible worlds.

I don't wish to suggest this is the answer for everyone, but it is a
reasonable option, and it was not mentioned. Silvio Levy of Princeton
has implemented a very nice classical Greek font in Metafont. It is in
the public domain, so you can pick up a copy by ftp from Princeton and
elsewhere. It has to be used with TeX to get full benefit of all its
features (for example the automatic selection of the right sigma
depending on whether it is word final or not). I am no Greek scholar,
but it does have apparently all the breathings and accents that could
be desired, and it is explicitly designed with some typographical
awareness of great fonts of the past. Silvio has written this all up:

"Typesetting Greek", in _TeX Users Group Eighth Annual Meeting
Conference Proceedings_ (Providence: TeX Users Group, 1988),
pp.27--34.
"Using Greek fonts with TeX", _TUGboat: communications of the TeX Users
Group_, 9.1 (1988), pp.20--24.

It is possible to convert TeX "PK" fonts into, for example,
Hewlett Packard LJ soft font format, so you could get access to the
character set. But the sacrifice of all the contextual and ligature
information would make this pretty pointless.

If you don't mind using TeX, and it isn't *that* bad, then the classist
might also want to know about the new EDMAC macros for formatting
critical editions. These provide the TeX user with all the features
commonly found in critical editions: multiple layers of notes (up to five,
more possible), notes formatted variously (standard left margin, wrapped
paragraph, 2 column, 3 column), automatic line numbering, notes referenced
automatically by line numbers of lemma, and so on. Silvio's Greek has
successfully been used with EDMAC. These macros will be announced in the
next issue of TUGboat (about to appear).

Dominik