4.0727 TLG Search Problems (1/20)

Tue, 20 Nov 90 22:18:29 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0727. Tuesday, 20 Nov 1990.

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 08:49:26 PST
From: 6500rms@UCSBUXA.BITNET
Subject: TLG Search problems

I am glad that John Baima posted the comment on problems with searching
TLG texts. Which network was the discussion on? As the author of one
of the search programs he mentioned (Searcher 2.2) I am always happy to
hear of problem words, and I found that Searcher does in fact miss the
parabebhkotwn at 140.3.7 in Justin Martyr's Dialogues. The fix for this
problem is no different than for avoiding any other textual markings in
the TLG texts, so we should have it corrected in the next version of
Searcher.

If there is a list of similar "problem" words and the correct search
results, it would be useful to distribute this list to the authors of
programs such as LBase, Pandora, and Searcher so that timely upgrades
can be made.

Randall Smith
Classics Department
University of California