4.0682 Conf: ASIS Mtg on Multimedia Systems (1/60)

Sat, 3 Nov 90 10:56:07 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0682. Saturday, 3 Nov 1990.

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 21:52:22 PST
From: samia@violet.Berkeley.EDU (Samia Benidir)
Subject: 1991 ASIS Mid-Year Meeting

AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE
1991 Call For Presentations

MULTIMEDIA INFORMATION SYSTEMS
ASIS 1991 Mid-Year Meeting
APRIL 26-29, 1991
Santa Clara, California

The 20th ASIS Mid-Year Meeting will focus on one of the most
important new areas in information systems: Multimedia. Traditional
concerns with text and numerical data are being supplemented and may
ultimately be supplanted by increasing attention to the documentation
of objects, sounds, images, and moving images. Digitized sounds and
still, moving and 3-D images are being stored, indexed, retrieved, and
manipulated. Combinations of text with images and sounds are becoming
more common. These new developments promise to change the way we think
about information.

How are multimedia developments going to be used to provide
improved information services? What relevant experiences from art
collections, museums, engineering files, and photo, film and sound
archives can be used for digitized records? What new opportunities
and challenges will digitized forms of sounds and images bring?

Building better information services will require that we
effectively use images and sound in combination with test and numerical
data. To achieve these advancements we must make significant progress
in computing, data storage, and telecommunications. The 1991 ASIS
Mid-Year Meeting will present cutting-edge research and development in
the information sciences which build upon our experience with text and
data by adding access to sound and images. It will also explore current
and potential applications of this research.

DUE DATES & WHERE TO SEND YOUR SUBMISSION:

Please submit your proposed contributions by November 30, 1990.
Proposals may be sent via U.S. mail, electronic mail, or fax.
You will be notified by January 2, 1991 of acceptance or rejection.
At that time further information will be provided to those whose
proposals have been accepted.

Send all proposals to:

MICHAEL BUCKLAND
Technical Program Chair,
1991 ASIS Mid-Year Meeting
School of Library and Information Studies
University of California
Berkeley, California, USA 94720

Telephone: (415) 642-3159
Fax: (415) 642-5814