4.0661 R: The Canonical Process (4/91)

Tue, 30 Oct 90 20:46:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0661. Tuesday, 30 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Tuesday, 30 October 1990 6:43am CST (19 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: 4.0649 Q: The Canonical Proces

(2) Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 08:38:22 EST (17 lines)
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Textual communities

(3) Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 09:46:00 EST (21 lines)
From: "L. Dale Patterson" <LDPATT01@ULKYVM>
Subject: 4.0649 Q: The Canonical Process

(4) Date: 30 Oct 90 09:2:00 EDT (34 lines)
From: DAVID REIMER <REIMER@WLUCP6.BITNET>
Subject: Canonical process

Date: Tuesday, 30 October 1990 6:43am CST
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET

I'm uncomfortable with Tom Greene's account of what he means by the
"canonical process," whereby someone who's not a member of a particular
text-constituted community learns to read that community's text(s) in
the way members of the community read them. To call this a canonical
process is to shift onto readers a process that rather(by convention)
operates upon texts. What you seem to me actually to be talking about
is conversion, or maybe just what most of us call education. Certainly
it's true that education is supposed to be about bringing people into
the communities constituted by one or more sets of texts (though some
would argue that it has also been about maintaining the distinction
between "insider" and "outsider" readings, to the detriment of the
outsiders); but it doesn't seem to me to be particularly useful to call
it a canonical process.

John Slatin, UT Austin