4.0657 Computer Communications (3/58)

Tue, 30 Oct 90 20:31:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0657. Tuesday, 30 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 08:10 EST (25 lines)
From: BREWERJ@UNCG.BITNET
Subject: Procomm

(2) Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 12:09 PST (11 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0654 Rs: ... Hayes/Procomm;

(3) Date: Tue, 30 Oct 1990 9:34:33 EST (22 lines)
From: TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (Tom Rusk Vickery)
Subject: Re: 4.0641 Qs: ... Procomm (3/44)

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 08:10 EST
From: BREWERJ@UNCG.BITNET

Procomm has an option of using long distance codes in the
dialing directory. You can type the service codes in the
program as a long distance code. The four codes are used when
you select the number to dial. For example, one of the code
symbols is #. I typed my telephone service number, my access
number and the commas needed for pauses to allow connection.
To dial the number, I type

#1919<university computer number>
(Actually the 1919<university computer number> is listed in my dialing
directory as the third entry; all I must type is #3.)

The program acually dials
Each comma represents a two second pause.

I use this feature regularly, because when I call the campus
computer from home, it is a long distance call. Also this system
allows me to call through the service, as shown above, or to call
without the service. I make the choice by using or not using the
#.