4.0651 Qs: CD-ROM Standards; Chinese KWIC (2/36)

Mon, 29 Oct 90 20:58:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0651. Monday, 29 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 17:23 EST (26 lines)
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>
Subject: CD-ROM standards?

(2) Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 12:14 PST (10 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0641 Qs: Chinese KWIC...

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 17:23 EST
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>

There is much talk these days about CD-ROM for electronic dictionary,
etc. Are there standards or different types or sizes of CD-ROM; are
there families of CD-ROM drives? Do they come with a CD-ROM disk drive?
Do we plug them on a serial or parallel port? Are there different speed
or access time? Are there european and north american standards? What
are the good brands? what is a normal retail price? Literature on the
subject written by a HUMANIST who could send us a file of his/her text?
Are external and internal drives? Has any one any bad or positive
experience to tell us about CD-ROM? Brands that we shouldn't buy?
Standards that are not that standard?

Thanks.

Michel Lenoble
Litterature Comparee