4.0596 CSLI Calendar (1/258)

Wed, 17 Oct 90 21:41:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0596. Wednesday, 17 Oct 1990.

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 16:41:18 CDT
From: Mark Olsen <mark@gide.uchicago.edu>
Subject: CSLI Calendar

C S L I C A L E N D A R O F P U B L I C E V E N T S

18 October 1990 Stanford Vol. 6, No. 5

A weekly publication of the Center for the Study of Language and
Information (CSLI), Ventura Hall, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-4115
____________

CSLI ACTIVITIES FOR THURSDAY, 18 OCTOBER 1990

12:00 noon TINLUNCH
Cordura 100 The Resolution Group
Ivan A. Sag
(sag@csli.stanford.edu)
Abstract in last week's Calendar

2:15 p.m. CSLI SEMINAR
Cordura 100 Object Theory, Intensional Logic, and
Situation Theory
Edward N. Zalta
(zalta@csli.stanford.edu)
Abstract in last week's Calendar

CSLI ACTIVITIES FOR THURSDAY, 25 OCTOBER 1990

12:00 noon TINLUNCH
Cordura 100 The Contents of Signals and Movements
John Perry
(john@csli.stanford.edu)
Abstract below

2:15 p.m. CSLI SEMINAR
Cordura 100 Object Theory, Intensional Logic, and
Situation Theory
Edward N. Zalta
(zalta@csli.stanford.edu)
Abstract below
____________

NOTE

Please note that the TINLunch scheduled for 25 October doubles as the
STASS Seminar for that day.
____________

TINLUNCH ON 25 OCTOBER
The Contents of Signals and Movements
John Perry
Department of Philosophy
Stanford University

An important property of signals is their informational content. An
important property of movements is the actions that they constitute.
These crucial properties depend in systematic ways on the nature of
the signal or action and the circumstances in which the signal or
action occurs. The account David Israel and I have given of
informational content will be sketched, as will the account of
movements and actions that Israel, Syun Tutiya, and I are developing.
____________

CSLI SEMINAR ON 25 OCTOBER
Object Theory, Intensional Logic, and Situation Theory
Edward N. Zalta
Department of Philosophy
Stanford University

We shall discuss further issues concerning modality and tense. In
particular, we examine the structural similarities of worlds and
times, and then compare our analysis of these entities with that of
others. For this comparison, we'll focus especially on the views of
David Lewis. In the time that remains, we consider the interaction of
modal operators and definite descriptions, and, in particular, the
solution to some infamous puzzles involving this interaction.
____________

SYMBOLIC SYSTEMS FORUM
The SSP Internship Program, 1990
Symbolic Systems Program Summer Interns
Thursday, 18 October, 4:15 p.m.
Building 60, Room 61G

Last summer, nine Symbolic Systems majors had internships at and
around Stanford. A number of these interns will give short
presentations describing their projects. The talks will outline what
the interns accomplished and what they learned during the summer.
Possibilities for future internship projects will be discussed, so
students with an interest in internships next summer should plan to
attend.

The following interns will be speaking:

- Yuko Munakata
A Connectionist Approach to the Zeigarnik Effect

- Susan Epstein
Shoptalk: An Integrated Interface

- Bill Grundy
Flakey the Artificial Creature

- Dan Fish, Eric Ly, Peter Murray
New Implementations of Tarski's World

- Mike Calcagno
A System for Machine Translation and a Workstation for Linguists

- Randy Jensen
Natural-Language Generation for the Tarski Translator

- Chris Phoenix
Robotics, or When Theory Meets Hardware

Following week: Kurt Konolige, SRI International, An Autonomous Robot
Looks at the World.
____________

PHILOSOPHY DEPARTMENT COLLOQUIUM
Self Notions: How to Think About Your Self
John Perry
Chair, Department of Philosophy
Stanford University
Friday, 19 October, 3:15 p.m.
Building 90, Room 91A

No abstract available.
____________

LINGUISTICS DEPARTMENT COLLOQUIUM
Reciprocals in Japanese
Taisuke Nishigauchi
Osaka University and
University of California, Irvine
Friday, 19 October, 3:30 p.m.
Cordura 100

This paper discusses the syntax and logical structure of sentences in
Japanese, which carry the semantic import of reciprocity. Two types
of constructions are considered: one type of sentence involves the
reciprocal anaphor "otagai," and the other construction involves the
reciprocal verb "-aw." First, we will show that these two types of
sentences have distinct semantic properties. Second, we argue that
the "gap" that appears in the "-aw" construction has the properties of
A-bar bound variables, in light of the behavior related with island
sensitivity and parasitic gaps. Thus, we propose that the "-aw"
construction involves movement of an invisible operator at
S-structure. This, we argue, is the syntactic realization of
"reciprocation" in the sense of Heim, Lasnik, and May (1990). Also,
we consider the Japanese counterpart of the "grain puzzles" in the
sense of HLM.
____________

PHILOSOPHY DEPARTMENT TALK
Three Dogmas of Humean Causation
Gurol Irzik
Department of Philosophy
Bogazici University, Istanbul
Tuesday, 23 October, 12:00 noon
Building 90, Room 92

Humean accounts of causation share the following dogmas:

1. Singular causation is impossible.
2. There are no "real" causal relations in nature over and above
regularities.
3. Causation is an all-or-nothing affair.

I argue that these claims are false and try to show why their
rejection is important.
____________

SYNTAX WORKSHOP
Causatives: Incorporation or Link Operation?
Alex Alsina
Department of Linguistics
Stanford University
Tuesday, 23 October, 7:30 p.m.
Cordura 100

In this talk, I shall consider two recent theories of morphological
causatives (Baker, 1988; Li, 1990), which assume verb-Incorporation in
slightly different versions. I shall point out that both theories fail
to capture two important generalizations about the morphosyntactic
realization of causative constructions: the variation in the
expression of the transitive causee, and the invariance in the
expression of the intransitive causee. (When a transitive verb is
causativized, its thematic subject is expressed either as an object or
as an oblique, often in free variation within the same language; but
when an intransitive verb is causativized, its thematic subject can
only be expressed as an object, even in many languages that allow the
oblique expression of the transitive causee.)

After discussing these, and other, shortcomings of the
verb-Incorporation approaches to causatives, I shall outline an
alternative theory constrained by the basic assumptions that
morphological words cannot be formed in the syntax and that the
grammatical functions of arguments cannot change in the course of a
derivation. Causative verb forms, therefore, like other morphological
structures, are created in the lexicon by combining a stem with an
affix; both the causative affix and the stem it combines with have an
argument structure, and what results from this affixation is a
composite argument structure in which an argument of the causative
affix and an argument of the stem are linked (or fused). This "link
operation" will be shown to be crucial in accounting for the basic
properties of causatives. In addition, it will explain certain facts
that would be totally mysterious for a purely phrase-structural
approach such as the Incorporation analyses.
____________

PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT COLLOQUIUM
Why Men Rebel and Why They Do Not
Dipak Gupta
San Diego State University
Wednesday, 24 October, 3:45 p.m.
Building 420, Room 050

No abstract available.
____________

NEW CSLI VISITORS

HIROSHI KANEKO
(kaneko@csli.stanford.edu)
Instructor
Department of Philosophy
Hokkaido University, Japan
Dates of Visit: October-November 1990

Hiroshi Kaneko is mainly interested in the philosophy of logic and
mathematics, especially in intuitionism and intuitionistic type
theory. Recently, he surveyed the debate between radical
conventionalism and Dummettian antirealism, the result of which is
available on request. As the translator of Barwise and Etchemendy's
book _The Liar_, he hopes to publish a translation with fewer mistakes
and more truths than the original.

PRASHANT PARIKH
(parikh@csli.stanford.edu)
Computer Science Group
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, India
Dates of Visit: September 1990-September 1991

Prashant will continue his work on situated communication within the
frameworks of situation theory and game theory. In particular, he
will work on a book based on his dissertation. He will also explore
other related topics involving situation theory, situated agency, and
applications to natural-language semantics.