4.0585 Qs: MR Dictionaries; 17th c. Typography;... (4/64)

Mon, 15 Oct 90 19:59:08 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0585. Monday, 15 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 21:39 EST (23 lines)
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>
Subject: use of m-r dictionaries

(2) Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 19:40 EDT (10 lines)
From: VERONIS@vassar.bitnet
Subject: Requete: textes francais et bilingues francais/anglais

(3) Date: 14 October 1990, 18:15:38 EST (13 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Apostrophes in 17th c. Composition

(4) Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 12:10:18 EDT (18 lines)
From: Revised List Processor (1.6e) <LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET>
Subject: Tutors Teaching Writing

Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 21:39 EST
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>

A recent survey of the top twenty requested items from the Oxford Text
Archive reveals that the biggest category of item requested is machine
readable dictionaries and other lexical materials, including

Oxford advanced learner's dictionary (expanded "Computer Usable" version)
Collins English dictionary
Oxford advanced learner's dictionary
Shorter Oxford dictionary (headwords only)
Oxford dictionary of current idiomatic English
English pronouncing dictionary
MRC Psycholinguistic database

To my knowledge, large-scale research on machine readable dictionaries is
limited to a few projects. What are all those others who have acquired
these dictionaries using them for?

Nancy Ide