4.0565 Rs: Telnet & Library Catalogs; Apostrophes (2/36)

Wed, 3 Oct 90 23:07:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0565. Wednesday, 3 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 13:52 EDT (21 lines)
From: Ivy Anderson <ANDERSON@brandeis.bitnet>
Subject: Logging off library catalogs via telnet

(2) Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 21:43:07 EDT (15 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>
Subject: Apostrophes

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 13:52 EDT
From: Ivy Anderson <ANDERSON@brandeis.bitnet>

RE: FZINN's query about how to exit the Penn State LIAS system via telnet:

This is a problem with quite a few online catalogs, because most of them
were designed before networking came along. The system we came up with
at Brandeis for our gateway to remote online catalogs was to tell users
to issue an "escape" command to the telnet software and ask it to close
the connection. I don't know if all telnet software has this
capability, but ours does. On our VAX, if you type "control-^" followed
by "C", you are returned to the VAX telnet prompt, and can then just
type "exit." It's clumsy, of course, but it does work. I have more
recently found that plain old "control-C" seems to work these days as
well. You might contact your local campus network gurus to find out if
there are similar commands on your system.

Ivy Anderson
Brandeis University