4.0559 Planning for Computing (1/27)

Tue, 2 Oct 90 22:05:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0559. Tuesday, 2 Oct 1990.

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 20:26:05 EST
From: "Dana Paramskas, U. of Guelph" <LNGDANAP@VM.UOGUELPH.CA>
Subject: Vol. 4, No. 0506, Sept. 19, Academic Computing

I forwarded Charles Ess' query to a colleague here who is an expert
in the field. He asked me to post his reply:
----------------------
Subject Partial Answer to Charles Ess

I don't have clear set of answers for Prof. Ess at Springfield but i
would like to suggest a possible resource. I have just received the
Fall '90 issue of the EDUCOM review and it contains a number of articles
that bear on the question of planning for computing on campus. In
particular, there is an article (page 75) describing the approach at St.
Bonaventure University in Olean, N.Y. The article describes the
replacement of a time-sharing computer with a network and personal
computers.

In the same issue, the Andrew Project at Carnegie Mellon is reviewed; I
am not suggesting that many of us can afford to emulate CMU in this
area, but it is worth looking at the CMU scene in order to see what the
possibilities are.

Finally, an article by John Kemeny gives some hint as to why progress has
been so slow in implementing "computing" in all of the areas where one
*might* expect more rapid progress.

Ken MacKay
University of Guelph
kma@cosy.uoguelph.ca