4.0547 The WP Saga's Markup Moral; Real Word Processing? (2/45)

Mon, 1 Oct 90 21:57:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0547. Monday, 1 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 14:19 GMT (15 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: Footnotes - the moral

(2) Date: 27 Sep 90 21:37:59 EST (30 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Why do we call them word processors?

(1) --------------------------------------------------------------26----
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 14:19 GMT
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>

Surely the moral to be drawn, if there is one, is that those who live by
procedural markup shall die by same? If you mark up your text with
explicit (visible) tags like <note id=1>This is footnote 1</note> you
can safely export them to any formatter you please, provided it has a
rudimentary macro facility. Personally, the thing I find most annoying
about WP footnotes is the arbitrary distinction it makes between foot-
and end- notes. And the fact that you can only have one sequence of
foot- (and one of end-) notes. And ...

Lou