4.0539 Word Processors: FootMice and Language Support (2/52)

Thu, 27 Sep 90 18:16:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0539. Thursday, 27 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: 26 September 90, 21:57:57 CDT (29 lines)
From: Bill Ball <C476721 at UMCVMB>
Subject: Word Perfect & foot mice

(2) Date: Wed, 26 Sep 90 16:16:00 EST (23 lines)
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu
Subject: Foreign Language Word Processor

Date: 26 September 90, 21:57:57 CDT
From: Bill Ball C476721 at UMCVMB

Why is word Perfect so popular? Because its so popular. Its growing
dominance means all kinds of support groups & newsletters for those who
can't R.T.F.M. (three words of which are 'Read' 'The' 'Manual'). It
means vast third-party vendor support -- printer cartridges, VGA
drivers, etc. It means the program itself does all kinds of nifty stuff
that may not be the academic writer's most needed functions, but they
sure are great on the rare occasion one can use them (page layout &
graphics (by the way: I highly recommend taking a look at Draw
Perfect), tables of contents, file searching, and others). A big market
share means big resources to develop a big powerful program. It does
run on PCs, Macs, and under UNIX--again very handy at times. Oh yes, it
does do footnotes and endnotes.

On a more serious note: The biggest complaint about using a mouse with
a computer is that one has to take one's hands of the keyboard to use it,
right? Well it seems to me that we have a couple of other appendages
doing nothing but hogging space in front of the heater vent. Why not
foot mice? Brief experimentation (that dissertation is not writing
itself, is it?) shows that it could be done, although it would work out
better if one foot moved the mouse and the other clicked the buttons
(and you need to set the sensitivity down). It shouldn't be any harder
than driving a clutch. Secretaries have been using foot pedals for
dictation machines for decades. Anybody know a good patent lawyer? :)

((( Bill Ball c476721@UMCVMB ) Dept. Pol. Sci. ) U. Mo.-Columbia )