4.0530 Social Sciences and the University (3/86)

Wed, 26 Sep 90 17:49:06 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0530. Wednesday, 26 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 23:18:45 EDT (27 lines)
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>
Subject: Re: 4.0527 On the Nature of Universities

(2) Date: Wed, 26 Sep 90 11:59 EST (26 lines)
From: Norman Miller <NMILLER@TRINCC>
Subject: A footnote

(3) Date: Wed, 26 Sep 90 11:37 PDT (33 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 23:18:45 EDT
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>

As long as Norman Miller was brave enough to be first,let me join in the
discussion concerning social sciences. Like Sociology, Psychology began
as a poor cousin; either applied Philosophy or experimental Physiology.
When James started the first Psychology Lab in the U.S. at Harvard,
littlemore went on there other than "introspection of the illogical side
of the mind" (NOW the building is named after him). To this day, I am
asked (most often by Literature types) whether I'm a behaviorist or a
Freudian, as though those two extreme points of view represent all there
is to Psychology. (Linguists generally ask for my views about Chomsky.)

If I may be permitted to use an analogy tha stems from catching only
snatches of the PBS Civil War series as I pass the VCR, the issue of
funding for Literature, Linguistics, and "social sciences" seems similar
to the field hands' envy of the house slaves. Ain't none of us getting
what we should, unless we happen to be able to contribute to Defense or
Medicine in some way.

For the record, Psychology at Mercer is in the second oldest building on
campus. We got it from Chemistry years ago when they convinced the
administration it was "unfit." (Administration has the oldest building,
but it's been refurbished; ours is just old).

Frank Dane