4.0508 Computers for Faculty (2/124)

Wed, 19 Sep 90 23:47:02 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0508. Wednesday, 19 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 09:53:38 BST (50 lines)
From: Donald A Spaeth 041 339-8855 <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: Computers for Faculty

(2) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 17:58 PST (74 lines)
From: Ru-Fan <T121267@TWNCU865>

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 09:53:38 BST
From: Donald A Spaeth 041 339-8855 x6336 <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>

I read Malcolm Brown's anecdote with some amusement, since my job
is to discuss computing with a large number of harrumphing historians!

But computers CAN come in the way of research in ways which I'm
sure everyone has experienced, by requiring one to spend potentially
large amounts of time tinkering. As we know, in the short term
computers are not a labour-saving device. But even in the longer
term, academics are faced with a choice between learning about
software/hardware or keeping up with their field. I feel in
an enviable situation in that I'm paid to play around with
history and commercial software; but my research has suffered
considerably. Computers, like administration, can give one
the false sense that one is accomplishing something, when in fact
one is completing a series of small, relatively irrelevant tasks.

And, of course, the software itself can lead the computer-conscious
historian to concentrate on problems easily soluble by computer
(although this is less a problem than it was). Developing
one's own software is no solution, but only a larger distraction.
The tool-oriented approach is, I'm convinced, the right one;
but not all historical projects may be best served by use of the
computer. So I may invest large amounts of time learning about
software/systems that I may not need for my next project (if I
ever complete my current one!) and will be obsolete when I
next decide on a computer-based project.

(Before I am assaulted, let me stress here that I am distinguishing
between such uses as word-processing and bibliography and
and note management, on one hand, and analysis. The latter is
my focus when I mention projects for which a computer may or
may not be appropriate in the previous paragraph.)

These points seem sufficiently obvious to be hardly worth making.
I make them to counter the almost universally positive answers
the question has received to date.

Should every lecturer have a computer on their desk? Yes,
if they ask for it. And with suitable software.

Now for the next question: should every lecturer have their
computer and software replaced in 3-5 years? I suspect that
universities have not yet woken up to this requirement!

Don Spaeth
CTI Centre for History and Computing (UK)
gkha13@cms.glasgow.ac.uk