4.0500 Qs: Italian Articles & SW; Printers; NB to WP (4/71)

Tue, 18 Sep 90 22:41:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0500. Tuesday, 18 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 07:42 EDT (31 lines)
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: RE: 4.0490 Qs: ... Articles

(2) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 08:25 PDT (9 lines)
From: BOYARIN@UCBCMSA
Subject: 4.0490 Qs: ... Printers

(3) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 20:16:59 MDT (19 lines)
From: "R. Jones" <HRCJONES@BYUVM>
Subject: HP LaserJet II vs. HP LaserJet III

(4) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 13:30:22 PDT (12 lines)
From: 6500rms@UCSBUXA.BITNET
Subject: Re: 4.0488 Queries: ... NB->WP;

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 07:42 EDT
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: RE: 4.0490 Qs: P-Dionysius Etext; Articles; Italian;

Two answers:
Italian definite/indefinite articles:
un, un', uno (sinar); what do you want to do with partitives?
lo, la, l', gli, (in Modern Standard Italian)

2. Italian CAI and wordprocessing/font(s0

Of CAI, I don't know too much worthwhile stuff; there are page-turners,
to go with specific texts. Please feel free to contact me if you
would like information.

I use Word Perfect on the IBM with a Spell-checker (costs extra). The
Spell-che cker also exists on the Mac (with Word-Perfect); our student
network has just been equipped with Spell-checkers for Italian, FRench,
Spanish, and GErman. They work reasonably well.

Fonts: you can redefine keys to print the accented characters. However,
with Italian you can also do what Italians without a special typewriter
do: use the apostrophe after the word, since only final vowels are
accented.

Again, if you would like more specific information, feel free to contact
me.

Leslie Morgan (morgan@loyvax1.bitnet)
Dept. of Foreign Langs.
Loyola College, Baltimore MD.