4.0478 Computers for Faculty: Resource Allocation (2/56)

Wed, 12 Sep 90 23:50:05 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0478. Wednesday, 12 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 16:49:07 EST (30 lines)
From: "Robert R. Blackmun" <ACC00RRB@UNCCVM>
Subject: Re: 4.0464 Computers for Faculty

(2) Date: 12 Sep 90 20:03:58 EDT (26 lines)
From: George Aichele <73760.1176@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Computers for Faculty (etc.)

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 16:49:07 EST
From: "Robert R. Blackmun" <ACC00RRB@UNCCVM>

Thanks very much for the copy of the contributions re faculty PC's, which
I believe are as rlevant to social scientists, physical scientists,
etc. as to humanists.

I attended a conference this morning in Greensboro at which one of the
speakers referenced a survey of faculty members that indicated that 95%
use their machines for word processing, with the next group of
applications (note taking, information organization) used by 50-55%, and
a much smaller fraction (15-35%) used it for things like statistical
analysis, access to data bases, etc. I think this relates well to the
point that at least one person made: word processing doesn't itself make
better research or publications; it may enable a capable faculty member
to do more scholarly work, and some of that research and publication may
be "better".

I don't think this settles the question of whether the institution should
provide faculty members with PC's, even as an "imperative" (to avoid
losing good people). It does, however, provide useful information to
Deans and others who are faced with difficult decisions about allocating
scarce resources (even when that includes decisions about equipping
administrative offices with furniture, equipment, etc.!). My point here
is that such decisions aren't "computing" decisions, they're "resource"
decisions that are simply made more difficult by the widespread
attraction and adoption of the techology.

Again, thanks for the info.