Fri, 24 Aug 90 22:26:44 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0421. Friday, 24 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 13:02:37 GMT+0100 (21 lines)
From: Stavros Macrakis <macrakis@ri.osf.fr>
Subject: Technology/Memory

(2) Date: Friday, 24 Aug 1990 01:08:08 EDT (19 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: 4.0418 Digital Computers and Binary Representation

(3) Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 17:20:55 GMT+0100 (21 lines)
From: Stavros Macrakis <macrakis@ri.osf.fr>
Subject: 4.0414 Big Science

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 13:02:37 GMT+0100
From: Stavros Macrakis <macrakis@ri.osf.fr>

The Brits prefer (or perhaps preferred) `store' to `memory', precisely
because it is less anthropomorphic. There are informaticians (notably
Edsgar Dijkstra, the "humble programmer") who insist on avoiding
anthropomorphic names in informatics.

Too much information is not only a problem for librarians and
historians, it's also a problem for users today. As Herbert Simon
pointed out many years ago, the scarce resource in information
retrieval is not data, but the user's attention. And then there's the
temptation to want to use as much data as possible rather than to get
the best understanding possible.

Stavros Macrakis

PS All digital computing is alike, to first approximation. Ternary
(balanced or otherwise) won't display Greek any better, either.