4.0419 Names & Kinship Knowledge; On Technology/Memory (2/111)

Thu, 23 Aug 90 21:22:52 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0419. Thursday, 23 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 22 Aug 1990 12:27:35 GMT+0400 (49 lines)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.technion.ac.il
Subject: names as aids to kinship-knowledge?

(2) Date: 22 Aug 90 22:02:43 EST (62 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Anamnesis

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 1990 12:27:35 GMT+0400
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.technion.ac.il

Frank Dane's report of the sociobiological theory that, in the absence of
direct sensing of kinship information (e.g. by smell), "surnames provide
evidence (though obviously not conclusive) about kinship, which enables
us to make kin-related decisions about helping, hurting and mating with
others" is very surprising. My scepticism is aroused by several points:

a) the relationships reflected by the same surname are those the individual
is most likely to be aware of anyway: nuclear family; the ones often not
revealed in surnames are the more distant ones (cousins, offspring of
married female relatives, etc.)

b) More important, surnames are a recent invention and essentially most
wide-spread in post-Medieval Europe. Some societies lack them to this
day, many adopted them only as a result of contact with the Western
world, including polygamous societies where kinship relations can be
much more complex than is normal in the West: e.g. the Arab world, which
only started to adopt surnames a century or so ago and hasn't completed
the process yet. I find it difficult to believe that such a basic human
need as the identification of one's kin relies on a mechanism as recent
in origin and narrow in its distribution among human societies as the
use of surnames.

Of course, since I don't know anything about the sociobiological theory in
question, except for Frank's few lines, I'm open to being convinced, if
anyone wants to try...

c) I forgot! Since surnames are of recent origin and were usually developed
from epithets indicating, for instance, a person's origin (Hamburger, a
person/thing from Hamburg) or occupation (Wainwright, a carriage-maker)
or other identifying characteristics, many people have the same surname
but aren't in fact related at all. Or the relationship is so slight as
to be non-existent for all practical purposes (all Horowitzes/Gureviches
are descended from the same seventeenth (? - I think) century inhabitant
of a village of that name, but I doubt I'd welcome any and everyone named
Horovitz as a long-lost relative on that account, even if they knew I
was myself a Horovitz before I married). What do we do with the Smiths
and the Cohens? What value has their name for deciding whether we should
marry them or lend them money without security?

I also know someone whose surname is Chwolles, and she is ABSOLUTELY
CERTAIN that anyone with that name is related to her husband; but I
submit that this is the exception to the rule, and a rare exception at
that.

Judy Koren.