4.0406 Digital vs. Analog Watches (2/42)

Wed, 22 Aug 90 15:51:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0406. Wednesday, 22 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 10:00:14 EDT (29 lines)
From: "Ian M. Richmond" <42100_1156@uwovax.uwo.ca>
Subject: Digital watches

(2) Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 22:53:33 EDT (13 lines)
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>
Subject: Re: 4.0401 On Technology (3/109)

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 10:00:14 EDT
From: "Ian M. Richmond" <42100_1156@uwovax.uwo.ca>

Sheldon Richmond's recent message about his new digital watch and
its possible effect on his perception of time made me think back to
my first experience with a digital timepiece (I now wear nothing but
analog watches.) When I first began using a digital watch about ten
years ago, I found that I was constantly rushing to get to classes
and appointments on time. It seemed to me that I was leaving for such
things later than had been my custom. The only reason I could find for
this was that with a digital watch my point of reference was always the
*previous* hour (10:15, 10:35, 10:52, etc.), whereas, with an analog
watch, at least half my time references are to the *approaching* hour
(28 minutes to eleven, quarter to eleven, five to eleven, etc.). This
shift of the point of reference to the previous hour seems to have
lulled me into a false perception of the rapidity with which the next
hour was approaching. The visual aspect of an analog watch face may
also have played a role in this. A time such as 10:52, as displayed by
a digital watch is just a number that does not have the impact of
actually seeing the narrowing gap between the watch hand and the
twelve 'o clock mark. My experience with a digital watch may be
nothing more than the result of a personal quirk, but I am convinced
that a digital timepiece has a definite effect on my own perception
of time.

Ian M. Richmond, Department of French, University of Western Ontario,
London, Ontario, Canada N6A 3K7. 519-661-2163 Ext 5703
also IMR@UWOVAX.BITNET