4.0402 Qs: Thomas Oakes? Danish History/Computing (2/41

Tue, 21 Aug 90 18:04:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0402. Tuesday, 21 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 09:24:56 EDT (28 lines)
From: Abigail <REED@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Thomas Oakes?

(2) Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 15:07:09 CET (13 lines)
From: Thomas Zielke <113355@DOLUNI1>
Subject: Danish history

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 09:24:56 EDT
From: Abigail <REED@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: message

Dear Humanist: could you please circulate the following plea sent to me by
a colleague on the Records of Early English Drama. Perhaps someone on
HUMANIST can help. Thanks. Germaine

Here it is:

We at REED are trying to identify a Shakespearean actor who is a little
out of our period. His name is Thomas Oakes, and all that is really
know of him are the following facts: 1) in 1792 he signed a lease as
part of his purchase of the British Plate Glass Company in which he
described his occupation as Shakespearean actor; 2) he lived while in
London on Upper Wimpole Street; 3) the actor Garrick had lent money to
Oakes' company before he had acquired it. We'd be grateful for any
further information anyone might know who was more conversant with the
period than we are. Also, we have been told that there is an on-line
index to the London Stage 1660-1800, but have been unable to find out
where this is or whether it contains more data than the printed index:
any leads on that, or the email address, if any, of its compiler, Ben
Ross Schneider, would be gratefully received as well.

Thanks for your help.

Abigail