4.0387 Jim Sledd/Texas Comp. Controversy (1/11)

Tue, 14 Aug 90 13:31:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0387. Tuesday, 14 Aug 1990.

Date: Saturday, 11 August 1990 0:13am CST
From: John Slatin <EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET>
Subject: 4.0383 Jim Sledd; Literature

Forgive me, but I fail to see what "powerful generic writing in which
multiple issues can be discerned" has to do with "lovely poetry and
prose"; I must be missing something again. And I'm afraid I missed the
point of Clarence Brown's beautifully told anecdote about Jim Sledd
(whom I like and admire, and whose loss of office space I deplore): were
you suggesting that Sledd was *right* when he said, in response to your
proposing to write about Negro poetry in 1946, that that would be fine
so long as you realized you'd be writing about "Negroes" and not about
poetry?

John Slatin, UT Austin