4.0383 Jim Sledd; Literature (was Texas Controversy) (2/31)

Fri, 10 Aug 90 15:32:29 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0383. Friday, 10 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: 10 Aug 90 08:53:00 EDT (21 lines)
From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Jim Sledd

(2) Date: Thu, 9 Aug 1990 21:13:07 EDT (10 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: literature

Date: 10 Aug 90 08:53:00 EDT
From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>

past tense, I feel obliged to point out that while the incident he
mentioned occurred a while back, Professor Sledd is still alive and
kicking. He retired from the English Department at UT Austin in 1985,
but retained an office until quite recently. During some office
shuffling, he was re-assigned to an office formerly occupied by graduate
students. He refused to take that office because he did not want to
deprive the students of the space. Very Sledd-ian!!

By the way, his glasses still slide off his nose.

Mary Dee Harris

mdharris@guvax.bitnet
mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu