4.0373 Texas Comp. Controversy (2/274)

Tue, 7 Aug 90 21:04:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0373. Tuesday, 7 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Tuesday, 7 August 1990 10:17am CST (133 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: Continuing Saga at Texas

(2) Date: Tuesday, 7 August 1990 4:19pm CST (141 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: 4.0362 Texas Comp. Controversy

Date: Tuesday, 7 August 1990 10:17am CST
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET

At the risk of taking up even more e-space than I have done
already over the Texas controversy, I post the following,
which appeared on the editorial page of yesterday's (8/6)
_Daily Texan_, the campus newspaper. It is an interesting
document; I've not yet seen today's paper, so I don't know
what the reaction to it has been.
John Slatin, UT Austin
Text follows:

[Editor's note: The following is the full text of a July 9
letter from Alan Gribben, professor of English, to Dallas
resident Anne Blakeney, a member of the UT Liberal Arts
Foundation Council. We believe the letter's contents along
serve as a strong enough indictment of Gribben's position.
The letter was obtained through the Texas Open Records Act
by Tom Philpott and Scott Henson, co-editors of the
Polemicist.]

Thank you for contacting me about the politicization of
the English 306 course. I feel very strongly that academic
courses at the University of Texas at Austin should not be
politicized, and I have been vocal and public about this
opinion. During my 16 years in this English department, I
have witnessed its gradual domination by a highly
politicized faction of radical literary theorists. Their
methods include character assassination and intimidation.
As an incredible result, among my 80 English professorial
colleagues only a handful today agree that neither E306 nor
any other English course should be politicized. My support
on this issue comes mainly from faculty members in other
departments and schools-- psychology, sociology, chemical
engineering, law. The fact that I-- a traditionally
inclined literature professor-- have been the main thorn in
the radicals' side has made me controversial. You have a
right to know my status in the department. You will hear
highly derogatory things said about me. But you may be
assured that I am a dedicated teacher, a producing scholar
with a national reputation and a principled person oriented
toward stability in his family's life and activities. Can
the same be said of my many detractors?

Your offer of assistance in my efforts to halt the new
E306 course, reform my out-of-control department and rescue
my academic career at the University is more than I could
hope for. If we accomplish even one of these, we might
accomplish all of them eventually. I believe that the
University of Texas ultimately belongs to the state of Texas
and the citizens who take an interest in its direction, care
about the quality and integrity of its instruction and are
willing to communicate with like-minded individuals about
its performance. Probably 30 or more people have contacted
me since I began speaking and writing in public about the
politicization of our freshman composition course, and all
were well-intentioned and resolved to help in some manner,
but only members of the Liberal Arts Foundation Council
actually understand how the University operates and what it
will take to effect any significant improvement in the
English department situation.

As I mentioned in our conversation, I have come to the
conclusion that our problems are so profound and likely to
be longlasting that:

- The English department should be placed in
receivership indefinitely, with someone like Donald
Foss (chairman of the psychology department) as its
director for several years; and then be governed by a
new English chairman appointed directly by Gerhard
Fonken, executive vice president and provost; and
- During this period of receivership the department's
faculty should be divided into a Department of Critical
Theory and Cultural Studies and a Department of English
Literature and Language. This division of the radical
theorists from the remaining traditional scholars would
give the latter the freedom to offer a true literature
and writing program. Or
- Barring the accomplishment of these steps, the two
University-wide required English courses (E 306, E
316K) should be abolished, thus ending the necessity of
hiring additional English professors at the rate they
have been recruited from the most radicalized (but
prestigious) graduate programs across the nation.
Most vital of all will be a comprehending College of

Liberal Arts dean with nerve and a determination to oversee
the recruiting policies and decisions of the English
department, which has lost all sense of tradition,
direction, civility and academic freedom in the classroom.

In short, the UT Department of English has become
dysfunctional. Its main motivational drives are basically
fear of censure by the enforcing ideological element and
hope of reward, financial or other, for adhering to their
reigning dogma. Many of the faculty radicals in English
departments are influenced by the Marxist conviction that
power itself should be the end of all endeavors, even
educational ones. This overbearing view that the individual
is helpless and must align with a cause or network stymies
any idealism suggesting that an undergraduate can trust his
or her own abilities to think independently of a radical
political group. Newspaper reporters routinely remark to me
about the pervasive "fear" they sense among our English
faculty-- something that puzzles them, since one associates
a university with the protection of free speech and the
contest of ideas. Yet just to say that our English
department ought principally to teach the history and
features of English literature, language and writing is
viewed as outrageously heretical-- so dangerous, indeed, as
to warrant slanderous attacks.

If I could specify the most disturbing trend I have
observed here in the past 10 years, it would be the
selective recruitment of new faculty members with an
expectation that they will bring with them an ideologized
sense of advocacy-- radical feminism, Marxist analysis,
militant "ethnic" studies, anti-canonical campaigns, Third
World oppression studies-- to influence students inside and
outside the classroom. Anyone who objects to these efforts
at propagandizing and political sloganeering is branded as a
hated representative of the bourgeois status quo. Rumor-
mongering has replaced parliamentary discussion as an
accepted form of achieving a departmental "consensus."

I look forward to working with the Liberal Arts
Foundation Council to return this troubled academic unit to
something resembling an English department that teaches
English rather than politics.

-- The Daily Texan, Monday, August 6, 1990, p. 4