4.0370 Handedness/Gender; Heisenberg (2/50)

Tue, 7 Aug 90 20:55:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0370. Tuesday, 7 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 12:01:53 BST (34 lines)
From: ZLSIISA@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Subject: Handedness, gender, etc

(2) Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 15:11:01 EDT (16 lines)
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: 4.0366 Responses: ... Heisenberg ...

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 12:01:53 BST
From: ZLSIISA@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk

Oh dear, I'd hoped not to get involved - this could run and run - but as
another left-handed female in computing support, I'll have to respond to
Mary Dee Harris. I have been either a programmer or a computing advisor
for nearly 20 years, but in public libraries I get mistaken for a member
of staff, and a librarian is probably what I would have become had I not
discovered computers first. My interests have always been literature,
performing arts and History, and although I can do sums quite well, I
don't understand mathematics at all. Moreover, when I studied as a part-
time student for an MA in early mediaeval history, 6 of my twelve fellow-
students were also left-handed, making us the majority. As far as I can
remember, their occupations were: (males) computer engineer, solicitor,
history/geography teacher; (females) history teacher, history/religious
studies teacher, animal rights worker. The two lecturers who taught us
the history, as opposed to the documents work, (the two did overlap
considerably!) were also left-handers; they were qualified in both
history and archaeology. We knew we were odd: only the odd would
assemble at the end of the working day to consider the more esoteric
aspects of 850-1350AD. Were we even odder than we thought?

Sarah Davnall, Humanities Liaison, University of Manchester, United
Kingdom. Davnall@uk.ac.manchester

P.S. I forgot to say that my memory for names seems to be much the same
as reported by others, though it is better if I take the trouble to
write the name down. Actually, my memory for everything is much the
same. I would put it down to middle age, except that my much younger
(right-handed) sister has the same problem. At a mock-interview once,
she was asked what she considered to be her weaknesses. "I have three."
she started brightly,"I have a bad memory, I am untidy, and .. er, I
can't remember the other one.".