4.0338 Language Engineering; 2nd Language/French (2/73)

Tue, 31 Jul 90 23:07:20 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0338. Tuesday, 31 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 12:40:00 EDT (33 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Language Engineering Directory

(2) Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 17:57 EDT (40 lines)
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>
Subject: Language acquisition and French as L2.

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 12:40:00 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

The Commission of the European Communities, DGXIII (Luxembourg) has,
according to a letter I recently received, initiated the creation of a
Language Engineering Directory. It has commissioned a firm in Amsterdam,
INK International, to carry out a world-wide survey of the activities in
"language engineering", i.e. research or development of technologies for
the computer-based processing of natural languages. This survey takes
the form of an extensive questionnaire, which I presume is available for
the asking.

The survey was first carried out in 1988/89 in both public and private
sectors, their products and research projects. The survey for 1990 is
devoted entirely to commercial products.

The stated aim is to publish a low-cost Directory available to the
general public and perhaps someday to make the results accessible
online.

Interested individuals should write to the following address:

Kick Sprangers
Survey Coordinator
INK International
P.O. Box 75477