4.0331 Memory, Right and Left (2/39)

Mon, 30 Jul 90 21:03:21 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0331. Monday, 30 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 23:31:19 EDT (21 lines)
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>
Subject: Re: 4.0327 Responses: Memory;

(2) Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 17:50:49 EDT (18 lines)
From: HANSCHKA%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu
Subject: re: Memory

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 23:31:19 EDT
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>

Perhaps due to the lateness of the hour, I cannot forego "jumping on"
Koren's remarks concerning left brain/right brain business and memory.

When one reads the research, as opposed to popular press, concerning
hemispheric differences, it is apparent that the whole R/L business has
been quite overblown. In most people, the left brain is more active
when processing linguistic information than is the right brain. Except
in those individuals who have had their corpus callosum severed as a
treatment for epilepsy, that's the extent of the R/L brain "business".
For all others, the CC provides a complete link between the two
hemispheres. Thus, most of the R/L business is, in the words of one of
former professors, pop crap.

Frank Dane, Psychology, Mercer University

P. S. As my finger moves to send this, I have a sinking feeling
that I am going to get blasted in future discussions. Nevertheless...