Fri, 27 Jul 90 17:25:13 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0327. Friday, 27 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 26 Jul 1990 9:20:17 GMT+0400 (32 lines)
From: Judy Koren <LBJUDY@VMSA.technion.ac.il>
Subject: Memory

(2) Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 09:10:40 EDT (13 lines)
From: "Matthew B. Gilmore" <GY945C@GWUVM>
Subject: book(s) by Molnar

(3) Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 18:38:02 +0300 (14 lines)
From: Y. Radai <RADAI1@HBUNOS>
Subject: Re: Fractals, etc.

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 1990 9:20:17 GMT+0400
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.technion.ac.il

Further on Douglas de Lacey's comments of July 20th: the phenomenon of
differential storage in the mind of different types of memory
(linguistic, visual, aural etc.) seems to be pretty commonly observed.
I am painfully aware, for instance, that I keep visual memories (e.g.
faces) and verbal information (e.g. name, age, occupation, temperament
etc. of the owner of the face) in different compartments, linked by
pointers which tend to get lost or cut. For me it's very common to see
someone and know that I know him/her, but I can't remember a darn thing
about the person, not so much as the name. The moment someone tells me
the name, everything else I know about that person is instantly
recalled, from where I met him to my personal opinion of him to old
gossip about him... Comments by others via Humanist on memory have shown
me that this isn't unusual. I conceptualize this as meaning that the
name is the key to verbal knowledge, stored in one place (left brain?)
while the graphics (the face) are stored elsewhere (right brain?) with
pointers between them which, as said, may get lost. Usually it gets
lost in one direction only: if you tell me the name of someone I know, I
can recall her face and whole-body image, but if you present me with her
face, as said, I very often can't recall the name and all associated
information, unless I've seen her (the pointer has been refreshed?)
fairly recently.

Is this a left-brain right-brain business? (I'm left-handed...)

Meanwhile I console myself with the thought that I never wanted to be a
politician anyway.

Judy Koren, Technion, Israel.