4.0299 Holmes; Borges and Foucault; ...and Kuhn; Zen (4/103)

Wed, 18 Jul 90 18:07:53 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0299. Wednesday, 18 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: 18 Jul 90 00:24:31 EST (36 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 4.0291 Holmes

(2) Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 12:01 EST (12 lines)
From: "Peter D. Junger" <JUNGER@CWRU>
Subject: Thanks for the source of the Borges quotation

(3) Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 16:22 CDT (36 lines)
From: Michael Hancher <MH@UMNACVX.BITNET>
Subject: Foucault > Borges > Franz Kuhn?

(4) Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 11:51 EST (19 lines)
From: "Peter D. Junger" <JUNGER@CWRU>
Subject: Dutch student of Zenn

Date: 18 Jul 90 00:24:31 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 4.0291 Holmes (2/27)

Can't resist: quotation marks or underlining A Study in Scarlet? The
first edition of that work appeared as the only editorial contents of
something called *Beeton's Christmas Annual* in 1887. Beeton was a
magazine publisher who would at Christmas sell ads to put out a
Christmas thing, and in that year the only thing in the book (about the
size and shape of a copy of Readers' Digest) was the story by Conan
Doyle. There are numerous pages of ads at the beginning, and others (I
think later on). Now if an entire issue of a periodical be given over
to a single story (which is later sometimes published in a volume with
other stories and sometimes published separately), is that story a
`novel' and therefore to be underscored or a `story' and therefore to be
put in quotation marks?

Serious question.

I know the *Beeton's Christmas Annual* so well because once upon a time
in the stacks of Sterling Library at Yale I was looking idly at the
Conan Doyle range and wondered what this odd little cardboard covered,
untitled volume was. It was indeed the first first edition, sloppily
bound in cardboard in the library bindery. I knew that this was an
extreme bibliographical rarity (who in 1887 knew that *this* edition of
this throwaway magazine on little better than newsprint contained a
literary classic?) and knew perfectly well that it would be a matter of
two seconds concealment to get it out of the building. Instead I took
it to the reference desk, who asked me to write up a note explaining why
it was rare and valuable (1960s price: over $1000) and they would pass it
on. I nosed further and found taht the reason why a copy was in the
stacks was that they already had a copy in Beinecke (with `With the
Author's Compliments' but no signature on the first page of the story)
and figured that the second was just redundant and could be left in the
stacks to circulate! Any curious Yalie would do me a favor to check and
see if both copies are now safely in Beinecke.