4.0277 On Memory and Memorials; Information (2) (3/74)

Thu, 12 Jul 90 17:42:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0277. Thursday, 12 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:13:45 EDT (23 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: memory

(2) Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 18:55 EDT (8 lines)
From: "Tom Benson" <T3B@PSUVM>
Subject: information

(3) Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:15:52 PDT (43 lines)
From: MHEIM@CALSTATE
Subject: University -- information clearinghouse

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:13:45 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

More unsystematic thoughts on memory and its loss. I've noticed that
some people remember facts as factual quanta, others remember facts as
parts of a pattern. (Some people, rare ones, remember in both ways
simultaneously.) As one grows older, and years of accumulated thinking
about certain patterns of thought strengthen them, is it not possible
that the inability to remember things as things may also signify a
mental maturity rather than, or in addition to, a degeneration? What
happens seems in part to depend on one's field of specialization. Us
humanists in this respect seem to have the advantage over mathematicians
and theoretical physicists.

Physical degeneration certainly seems inevitable. But is it not possible
that going down hill may be accompanied, if one works hard at it, by
soaring?

(It is, of course, entirely irrelevant that my birthday is tomorrow!)

Willard McCarty