4.0273 Memory Loss (2/46)

Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:53:55 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0273. Wednesday, 11 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 13:01 PDT (28 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0260 Knowledge and Memory

(2) Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 22:04 EDT (18 lines)
From: Ruth Hanschka <HANSCHKA@HARTFORD>
Subject: Hitting the Memory Wall

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 13:01 PDT
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0260 Knowledge and Memory (3/100)

Maybe not aluminum, but the way the chemistry lays down the traces
attended to in aging, apart from interest. The lecturer, like myself,
and others I have spoken to, who is on the high wire, without notes,
notices this all the time. I know what I intend to say, but am aware
that by the end of the sentence I may not be able to fetch up, retrieve,
the name, the title, the author I actually thought to allude to at the
beginning of the sentence. It makes for thrilling lectures. Notes
help, but they tend to be vague, boring, repetitious, and more
meaningless each year, as one's thoughts, on literary subjects alter, or
opinions, or tastes. Living dangerously, a nice incitement, but only
for those who know how to associate. I will look out the window, as if
thinking, and wait for the second to pass: either Rover, good boy!
fetches that old bone of a title, or line or phrase, or he doesnt. I
wonder how older actors do it. My god, to get LEAR up after 65!
Anyway, it is not a subject that is understood, but then, only when the
curious docs get more research money for this crucial brain stuff will we
know what has happened to us after 40. Try, meanwhile, Lecithin
tablets, which are sold in healthfood counters. Experiments (how
good?) suggest that they supply the acetylcholine stuff for the
synapses, although the label on the bottle says nutritional value
unknown. It is soya extract oil. 6 a day possible, but I make do with
2 in the morning, since it really is an unknown thing, and perhaps a
waste of money. When I get desperate, I will up the intake?
Maybe. Kessler here. for your entertainment, at least.